QUESTION: Can Orthodontic correction occur while a child still has baby teeth?
ANSWER: Yes. Some Orthodontic problems are significant and require early intervention. However if a patient is not yet ready for treatment, our office will follow that patient’s growth and development until the time is right for treatment to begin.
What are some benefits of Orthodontics?
- Aids in optimizing other dental treatment
- Attractive and cosmetic smile
- Reduced appearance – consciousness during critical development years
- Better function of the teeth
- Increase in self- confidence
- Less force and wear of the teeth
- Easier to clean the teeth
- Better long term health of teeth and gums
- Guides permanent teeth into more favorable positions
- Reduces the risk of injury to protruded front teeth
Question: is it normal to have loose permanent teeth during orthodontics?
ANSWER: Yes, this is normal. Your braces must first loosen your teeth to move them into the correct positions. Once the teeth have been repositioned, they will no longer feel loose.
QUESTION: How many people need Orthodontic Treatment?
ANSWER: About 70% of population in the United States require Orthodontic Treatment.
QUESTION: Can you be too old for Orthodontic Treatment?
ANSWER: If oral hygiene is maintained, there is no age restriction! About 25% of our patients are adults.
QUESTION: Can I wear braces even though I have crowns and missing teeth?
ANSWER: Yes. A tooth with a crown will move just like a tooth with a simple filling. When teeth are missing, orthodontic treatment will aid in the alignment of the remaining teeth and help with restore the bite.
QUESTION: Should I see my general Dentist while I have my braces?
ANSWER: Yes, you should continue to see your general Dentist every 6 months for cleanings and checkups. Many patients will go every 3 months for a dental cleaning while in treatment to speed up treatment time. Cleaner teeth move faster!
QUESTION: If I wait, isn’t there a chance that my child’s bite will get better on its own?
ANSWER: Orthodontic problems usually worsen with time. For example crowded teeth will encroach onto your child’s other teeth and push the other teeth out of alignment too.
QUESTION: Why is Orthodontic Treatment needed?
ANSWER: Orthodontics improves the cosmetics of the smile and restores dental function .
QUESTION: Can my child return to school the same day he/she receives his/her braces?
ANSWER: Yes. There is no reason to miss school because of an Orthodontic appointment. Usually it takes a few days to get used to the braces. If discomfort occurs, Ibuprofen (Advil), Motrin, or Acetaminophen (Tylenol) can be used as well as salt water rinses.
QUESTION: Do you give shots?
ANSWER: No. No shots are necessary in Orthodontic Treatment
QUESTION: Are X-Rays needed during Ortho Treatment?
ANSWER: Orthodontic x-rays ensure that the bone and teeth are healthy and aid in diagnosing problems not seen in a physical exam. We have the latest 3-D x-ray technology( i-cat) that images the patient in 5 seconds. It is a very low dose radiation and eliminates the need for diagnostic models. This saves you time since you do not need to travel another facility for diagnostic records.
QUESTION: What are some signs that braces may be needed?
- Upper front teeth protrude excessively over the lower teeth or are bucked (overbite)
- Upper front teeth over the majority of the lower teeth when biting together (deep bite)
- Upper front teeth are behind or inside the lower front teeth (under bite)
- The Upper and Lower front teeth do not touch when biting together (open bite).
- Crowded or overlapped teeth
- Center of the upper and lower teeth do not line up
- Finger or thumb sucking habits which continue after six or seven years old
- Difficulty chewing
- Teeth wearing unevenly or excessively
- The lower jaw shifts to one side or the other side or the other when biting
- Spaces between teeth
To learn more about Dr. Buchanan Orthodontics or to schedule a FREE CONSULTATION call 972-542-4412 to speak with a member of our team.
Schedule a FREE Consultation